Shamelessly reposting Bernard Marr’s Big Data Quotes because they provide a great perspective of the information explosion going on in 2014. The next step will be the engine that can effectively utilize the results without turning the Internet into a giant wastebasket full of junk mail and useless solicitations.
- “Big data is at the foundation of all the megatrends that are happening today, from social to mobile to cloud to gaming.” – Chris Lynch, Vertica Systems
- “Big data is not about the data” – Gary King, Harvard University, making the point that while data is plentiful and easy to collect, the real value is in the analytics.
- “There were 5 exabytes of information created between the dawn of civilization through 2003, but that much information is now created every 2 days.” – Eric Schmidt, of Google, said in 2010.
- “Information is the oil of the 21st century, and analytics is the combustion engine.” – Peter Sondergaard, Gartner Research
- “I keep saying that the sexy job in the next 10 years will be statisticians, and I’m not kidding” – Hal Varian, Google
- “You can have data without information, but you cannot have information without data.” Daniel Keys Moran, computer programmer and science fiction author
- “Hiding within those mounds of data is knowledge that could change the life of a patient, or change the world.” – Atul Butte, Stanford School of Medicine
- “Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all.” Charles Babbage, inventor and mathematician
- “To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem – he may be able to say what the experiment died of.” – Ronald Fisher, biologist, geneticist and statistician
- “Without big data, you are blind and deaf in the middle of a freeway” – Geoffrey Moore, management consultant and theorist
(Cartoon: Thanks to Scott Adams and Dilbert- c2014)
Thanks to Bernard Marr and SmartData Collective